For FMAV, Global Meetings Industry Day (April 14) was so much more than a customer appreciation day. It was a day to celebrate the professionals who connect people in powerful ways through the exchange of ideas, knowledge, and stories to drive positive change.
Evolving from the a regional Edmonton-based initiative to become a worldwide industry program, the first-ever Global Meetings Industry Day was another opportunity for FMAV to show our pride in being part of Canada’s Meetings Industry, providing the audiovisual and event technologies that help meetings and event professionals achieve their goals and create a connection.
As part of our involvement in GMID, FMAV sponsored a number of MPI-led celebrations across the country, with representation at every chapter event. We even produced our very own music video:
And beyond Canada, the world came together to showcase the real impact that business meetings, conferences, conventions, incentive travel, trade shows and exhibitions have on people, business and local economies. Here are a few of the highlights, as reported from the GMID website:
- Over 100 events were held in over 30 countries, across 5 continents
- Between April 11th and 18th, the #GMID16 hashtag had over 37 million impressions and was used in almost 7,000 tweets
- Other top hashtags associated with GMID included #eventprofs, #mmbusiness and #mpi
- Over 1,000 Facebook users talked about GMID
- Government leaders from all over the world signed proclamations declaring April 14th as Global Meetings Industry Day, including our very own, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau